Thursday, March 1, 2012

Today I worked on an Exuma Island Iguana. These critically endangered iguanids are native to the islands of the Bahamas. These large lizards attain a length of over 3 feet, and weigh more than 4kg (9lbs). These iguanas are herbivores, eating leaves, fruits and flowers. In captivity a variety of produce is offered to supply their dietary needs. In addition to nutrients, iguanas and other reptiles require warmth and ultraviolet light to survive in captivity. Heat sources can provide needed warmth, but if they are placed too close or if timers or thermostats malfunction, can lead to serious life threatening burns to the skin. Many treatments for burns are currently utilized; these include nutrient rich bandages, honey, tissue debridement and laser light therapy. Lasers, directed at injured tissues, are believed to stimulate cell development and tissue healing. As tissues begin to heal, skin contraction occurs. This contraction helps reduce the size of the defect; tissue granulation occurs as healing continues. Burns in reptiles are serious medical problems, taking lengthy time and resources to resolve. If left untreated, infection and death may result. Photo by Jim Austin.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mr. Culver! I wish I would have checked out your blog a long time ago, this is great! Thank you so much for all the inspiration and knowledge. I look forward to learning about everything you experience at the job of my dreams! :) Kinda makes my private practice job seem even more blahh, haha! See ya in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dara, I am glad to share my experience with those passionate about animal care. I am sure you will have a good shot at the job of your dreams if you want it badly enough!

    ReplyDelete